Friday 5 March 2010

Why???

I had a question, as many of us do (probably not the exact same question...it's just that we ALL have questions...). The specifics of my question are not important to the tale that is this blog post. My question began with the word "Why" - not an unusual starting point for a question. In seeking an answer to this most vexing question, I went to the most sage of sources...google. I got as far as typing 'Why' into the google search bar when google, in its infinite wisdom, gave me a list of why-questions most frequently asked by other seekers of knowledge. Here is a selection:
  • Why do men have nipples?
  • Why is the sky blue?
  • Why can't I own a Canadian?
  • Why do dogs eat poop?
  • Why did the chicken cross the road?
  • Why do cats purr?
I became completely distracted by these questions, and one in particular. Which one? I hear you ask. Hmmm, let me confess now that I'm not overly proud of the scatological (hint!) direction in which my curiosity took me...

...Why do dogs eat poop?

I guess, given the number of dog owners across this vast planet, and this seemingly bizarre affliction of man's best friend, it's not surprising this question has been so frequently asked.

OK, OK, I won't keep you in suspense ANY longer...Here are the top 10 (actually 8) reasons a pooch will consume poop:

  • Dogs are neat animals, so if they poop in their crate or kennel, they want to clean up their home.
  • A dog may eat feces because of parasite or worms.
  • Dogs may be hiding the evidence because they have gotten into trouble previously for pooping where they shouldn't.
  • A mother dog may eat her puppies' poop so predators won't know there are puppies available
  • Young puppies may experiment tasting it since it's there
  • A dog may watch his owner pick up the poop and think that it's a good idea and do it himself.
  • A dog may not get fed often enough, and is hungry.
  • A dog may be trying to get his owner's attention.
source: dogs.suite101.com

So glad I have a cat - although she does like to clean her bottom whilst sitting on the coffee table.

No comments: