Tuesday 26 January 2010

Too Much Free Time

After watching quite a bit of footage of heavy metal band, Metallica, live on stage, I began to notice some things - interesting things (trust me). The band used the delightful expression "motherf**ker" quite a lot in their younger days (but then so did I, and possibly still do), the year of a performance can be determined by the state of James Hetfield's hair (both on his head and face) and by the number of his tattoos, Kirk Hammett doesn't appear to age. But the thing that really struck me was how movable they are on stage; they run all over the place, with their guitars (except for the drummer - although he certainly moves alot within (and without) the confines of his drum kit). So I started thinking: why don't their guitar cords get tangled? And then I realised, they don't have guitar cords. So how is the electrical guitar string vibration signal thingy reaching the amplifier? They must have some kind of transmission antenna setup somewhere, but where? Well, I did a little investigative investigating and I came across this photo of James Hetfield:



I suspect the "head-antenna" attachment is usually better camouflaged; this was the only photo I found in which it could be seen.

[Also, I offer no apologies to James Hetfield for rendering this photo of him adorable.]

No comments: