Sunday 3 May 2009

Karamazov Count: Page 100

Yee-Hah!

I am Genius.

This is cause for celebration. There will be much drinking of Vodka and eating of Khalva. (Actually, there will be much drinking of Irish Whiskey, 'cos that's what's in my booze cupboard - which also functions as my cat-food cupboard - and eating of chocolate wheatens, 'cos I really like chocolate wheatens). I think I have eaten Khalva, or a version of it, but it was pronounced "Halva" and it was provided by an ex-housemate who is of Israeli-Jewish heritage. It was very tasty but very rich, not something I could binge-eat in celebration.

In honour of page 100 of Karamazov, here is a quote from said page, one which encompasses the themes of alcohol, the struggle of workers and the greediness of those with power:

"Look at all the bottles the fathers have set up...And who has supplied all this? The Russian muzhik*, the toiler, with his calloused hands, brings hither his earned groat**, snatching it from the bosom of his family and the state's requirements! Why holy fathers - you leech upon the common folk!" (The Brothers Karamazov, pg 100)

*muzhik: Russian peasant
**groat: a silver coin

And speaking of groat, I finally received my 'economic stimulus package' (or cheque, as would be more accurate) this week. It seemed to take awhile getting here. So I've bought...uh...Irish Whiskey (well I was running low and I knew page 100 was coming up). But whiskey is also good for combating winter illness (it's just the thing for that swine-ish flu). When I was little Mum gave us a whiskey based home-made medicine: a mixture of honey, lemon juice and whiskey, one teaspoon as needed. Now that I'm a responsible adult I make my own medicine: honey, lemon juice and whiskey, but without the honey or lemon juice, straight from the bottle, as often as possible***.

Economic Stimulus Package Tally:
1 bottle Jameson Irish Whiskey $39.99
(only $860 more to spend)


***Lush: Nicole

No comments: