Friday 8 May 2009

Tattoo or not Tattoo

I’m trying to think of inventive ways to spend my economic stimulus package. Just before I turned 30 I had decided to get my left ankle tattooed to mark the event (a black cat with a green ‘13’ on it’s collar). Shortly after making this decision, but before I got the tattoo, I badly sprained my left ankle playing netball. I took this as an omen that I shouldn’t get my ankle tattooed (I didn’t consider relocating it to a different part of my body, maybe somewhere less visible). So I remain tattoo-less.

But now I’m thinking about it again. I don’t know how much it costs but I’ve still got $860 left to spend, and unless I’m getting a full body tattoo, I think it’ll cover the cost. I’m wondering where on my body it should go – probably either my ankle (unless I sprain my ankle again) or the middle of my forehead (I don’t think it’s possible to sprain this). Or possibly the adipose-rich area just below my navel (I like to think of it as been analogous to a camel’s hump). Apparently, it’s less painful to be tattooed on a more fleshy part of the body. Plus it’s not overly visible, unless I’ve had too much whiskey or forgotten to button my pants, or both.

However, if I get a tattoo I won’t be able to donate blood for a while (or ever if I contract hepatitis). I haven’t donated my blood for a few years (to the Bloodblank that is – I’m still making midnight offerings to the Dark Lord). The last few years I’ve felt as though I needed all my blood, mentally and physically. But I’m feeling pretty well at the moment. And I’m quite comfy giving blood (which not everyone is, and not everyone can give blood), and they give you a milkshake and cake afterwards. Party! It’s a contribution I can make to society, whereas there are other things I’m not comfy doing (for society).

So I’m still not sure about a tattoo. I might have to find something else to spend my stimulus package on. Of course, I could give it to someone less well off than myself (and they could get a tattoo – or something boring, like food or warm clothes for winter).


Some relevant pictures:

A camel (with hump):


The Dark Lord (and a possible tattoo design):

No comments: