Sunday 21 December 2008

My Brother's House

A few weeks ago I visited my oldest brother at his house (along with my mother and other brother). The house was having their annual Christmas party. My brother has brain damage, which he’s had since birth. He is unable to speak, although he can make a lot of noise, and he has a number of health issues stemming from his brain damage. He’ll never be able to live independently. He currently lives in special accommodation, which is a large suburban house with 4 other special needs people and their carers.

The Christmas party is always a bracing encounter. The families of all the housemates are invited and there is a lot of food and noise. Eating with my brother can be an adventure; it’s advisable not to wear your best clothes and to leave your etiquette expectations at the door. This year the party was bigger than usual, as people from nearbye special needs houses came along. Seeing so many people who live everyday with seemingly insurmountable physical and intellectual disabilities makes you realise how your own life is relatively easy.

At times I still find it challenging seeing my brother. I don’t know what’s going on in his mind and I don’t know how to communicate with him. The people who look after him (the carers) are amazing. They spend a lot of time with my brother, they accept him (and the other housemates) as they are and try to make their lives the best that they can be.

2 comments:

Eco Yack said...

I'm proud of you Coley! I know that this is a personal issue for you. You go girl!

Nicole_Effulgent13 said...

It's nice to see that you've upgraded to blogger status, Eco Yack. And I'm going, baby, don't you worry.
Coley.