Thursday 11 February 2010

Can Everybody Please Stop Shouting!!!

Earlier today, through both the walls of my flat and the open windows, I heard my neighbour (in flat #2) having a "discussion" with her boyfriend. Here is a partial transcript:

Her: "Get the fuck out of here!"

Him: "I'll leave when you stop shouting!"

Her: "Get the fuck out of here!"

Him: "I'll leave when you stop shouting!"

Her: "Get the fuck out of here!"

Him: "I'll leave when you stop shouting!"

...etc...

I'm not sure how it ended or if it did actually end (although things appear to have gone quiet). Both the tone and volume of the conversation would suggest an imminent demise of their romantic relationship, but I've heard them screaming at each other like this in the past, on numerous occasions, over a number of years. They either have an incredibly passionate relationship or an incredibly fucked up relationship. Possibly both.

THEN, a few hours after the flare up in flat #2, there was (and still is) a flare up between the couple in flat #3. Unfortunately, I can't include any transcript of the conversation/yelling as it was conducted in Hindi, and my Hindi is very weak/not existent.

So what the hell is going? Is it the humid and stormy weather making everyone humid and stormy. Sure, that's a reasonable explanation, but I think it would be remiss, even cowardly, of me not to acknowledge the real truth. I blame myself. I should've been a better neighbour. I should've listened to them all when they bailed me up at the letterbox wanting to talk about their hopes and dreams and various medical problems, but instead I ran from them with my hands over my hears screaming: "Noooooooo!!!". And now, because of my heartless actions, everyone is yelling at everyone else. Selfish, selfish, selfish.

No comments: