Saturday 2 January 2010

Prayer of St. Francis

Clearly things have gotten pretty dire if I'm resorting to prayer!

It's OK, I'm not really praying. I just like the sentiment of this group of words, written by St. Francis of Assisi, which many would label a prayer. I'm quite atheist-like in my "beliefs". (I could probably just say I'm an atheist but I don't like to give myself labels, other than "Effulgent13" or "Nicole" - although, technically, my parents gave me the label "Nicole", the crazy hippies).

And the prayer doesn't even have to be a prayer if you just take out "Lord", "O divine master" and "Amen", or ascribe to them different meanings, eg "divine master" could refer to my as yet unaccessed inner strength, divine as it is. Here are the words:

Lord make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy.

O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive-
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

The lovely Sarah McLachlan put The Prayer of St. Francis to music. It was used as backing music during the final moments of season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a very dramatic and difficult season, which only the strongest of Buffy fans were able to endure). I searched on YouTube for this scene, with the music, but couldn't find it. There were other videos posted featuring the song, however they mostly featured religious imagery and/or were not sung by Sarah McLachlan (which I wasn't too keen on). So, sadly, I cannot provide a link to the actual song.

No comments: