Thursday 22 October 2009

Robbing the Cradle?

So I was at this party...(crap! you never go to parties; was it an imaginary party?)...it was a REAL party, there was even a jumping castle...(a jumping castle? was this, perhaps, a kids party?)...it was the birthday party of an extremely cool one-year-old...(OK, OK, tell your story already)...I'm going to have to start again...

Recently, I was attending a 1st birthday party, where I was surrounded by an almost full spectrum of generations. There was the "in" crowd - the 0-10 year olds (the only ones allowed on the jumping castle), there was generation X (my generation) - mostly the parents of the "in" crowd, there were some token grandparents, and a couple of baby boomers. But there was also an appearance from a generation I've rarely, if ever, seen at one of these shindigs - generation Y. They were the children of the baby boomers and they'd come along hoping to have a turn on the jumping castle (to be honest, so had I). I ended up having an intelligent and flowing conversation with one of them, a male in his early 20's. I was surprised, as conversation with strangers is not one of my gifts, particularly of the intelligent and flowing variety (although I can certainly crap on with family and long-time friends). And I wouldn't have thought I'd have much to say to a young man (other than "will you turn down that racket, sunny!") and vice-versa. Clearly, I need to spend more time with males in their early 20's. Well, males in their early 20's who are studying Art History (as was this guy). And males in their early 20's who are intelligent (as was this guy). And who are mature for their age. And who are this guy. I guess it's possible not all males in their early 20's are like this guy.

And I know what you're thinking, you dirty-minded rudies. Yes, I did find him attractive. And yes, I am old enough to be his mother - his hip, young mother. And no, nothing untoward happened, nor did I want it to (mostly). (Also, I'm pretty sure "picking up" someone 20 years younger than yourself at a kids birthday party contravenes accepted decency standards and is possibly outlawed by the United Nations). I admit, though, that I did feel a little giggly at one point, but I quickly looked at the burgeoning varicose veins on the back of my hands, reminding myself of my maturing years, and I was able to keep it together.

There was probably a bit of "wanting to be young again" nostalgia going on. Or even wondering what it would've been like to do an Arts degree instead of a Science degree. Obviously there would have been less contact hours and more essays, and more hanging around the union building - although I did manage to get quite a bit of hanging around done between attending prac classes and, sometimes, during prac classes (chemistry experiments can take awhile, there's alot of hanging around time devoted to gazing at bubbling liquids and reflux condensers*). And I would've hung out with more Artsy people (I did know a few Arsty people in my 20's). And I probably would've dated Artsy boys instead of Sciencey/Engineeringy boys. I might not have fitted in though, when I was in my early 20's. I was kind of apathetic and insecure and unconfident. And I didn't really think about the world; politics or history or culture or society. I'd fit in better as I am now. And I'd probably get more out of it now.

The choices I made in my youth were right for me. I don't think I "missed out" on anything. I really enjoyed doing my Science degree, especially the last 2 years. And I went to lots of parties when I was young. Fun parties. Parties where you just showed up, drank, talked shit to whoever, danced (with or without music) and flirted (and sometimes more than flirted). And it was all OK. Now if I go to a party everyone is married, usually with children (there isn't anyone to flirt with). People still drink and talk shit though, but it's shit to which I can't really contribute, or don't want to - houses (I don't own a house and am not looking to own a house), career (I barely work), kids (nope). And everyone's stressed. Where has all the fun gone? Who took the fun? Bastard!

So I don't really want to be 20 again (although I'd happily have my 20-year-old skin again - I never had skin troubles until a few years ago; plus, I could pretend I was 20 and get invited to young people's parties and not look creepy). But I think it's good to hang with/talk with people of all age groups, as long as there's no creepiness.



*Reflux Condenser:




in action:





illegally in action (homebrew):


No comments: