Tuesday 27 October 2009

Almost Every Movement of the Human Body Involves the Lower Back

And the best way to obtain proof of this is to injure your lower back (not recommended!). And the only comfortable position in which to exist during this time is flat on your back until the pain has dissipated. But even then, any slight movement can set off a wave of angry neurons.

This is the second time I've had the "pleasure" of incapacitating lower back pain. Both times it's lasted about 2.5 days and there isn't much to do except lie on my back and listen to the radio - which is something I normally enjoy, but not when it's all I can do. I tried reading but my arms kept getting tired and I found it hard to concentrate. It might have been bearable if I'd had an 'easier' book to read. My current bookpile (which always includes Karamazov, which I ignored during my convalescence) aren't really 'page turners'.

But what's really making me cranky is that very little about me fits the profile of someone who would be susceptible to lower back pain, ie:
  • male people (not me)
  • overweight people (not me)
  • pregnant people (not me)
  • people who smoke (not me)
  • stressed people (any sign of stress sends me sauntering leisurely in the opposite direction)
  • people who don't exercise (not me, plus I don't over do the exercise)
  • middle-aged people (barely)
  • people with bad posture (I do sometimes slouch)
  • people who do a job that requires long periods of sitting, lifting heavy objects, bending or twisting, repetitive motions or constant vibration, such as using a jackhammer (I believe if I tried to use a jackhammer, back pain would be the least of my problems)
(back pain information from here)

No comments: