Monday 27 July 2009

"The Grand Inquisitor" Alert

Book V: Chapter 5: The Grand Inquisitor
(The Brothers Karamazov, pg 283)

I am one page away from the much lauded "The Grand Inquisitor" chapter of Karamazov. My spleen is tingling with excitement, which is odd as it's usually other parts of my body that tingle when I'm excited...I didn't mean for that to sound quite so dirty.

In the past "The Grand Inquisitor" is a section I've tried (& failed) a few times to read. THIS time however, I understand what's going on (mostly), and the pages leading up to this chapter have set the tone. The "Grand Inquisitor" will continue the philosophic D&M*, begun in the preceeding chapters, between the 2 younger Karamazov brothers, Ivan and Alyosha - though it would be more correct to say it's the continuation of Ivan's moody ramblings, with the occasional comment from Alyosha.


*D&M: Deep and Meaningful conversation - when I was at high school the D&M was a highly revered occurrence, one which I experienced only infrequently due to my shallowness.

2 comments:

bro said...

this is indeed a HUGE moment .. all the best !!

Nicole_Effulgent13 said...

It certainly is HUGE, but it's going to take alot more than a moment due to the chapter being 20 pages long. But it'll be worth it. I've read 1 page so far and I can feel my brain cells expanding (of course this could be due to the beginnings of an aneurism rather than increased knowledge and wisdom).