Wednesday 22 July 2009

A chocolate milkshake and a piece of fruitcake in exchange for 470ml of my blood

(This is the barter on offer at the Blood Bank)

I thought this was a fair exchange. And I'd been meaning to offload some of my blood for awhile - and the blood bank seemed as good a place as any to do this, with their trained nurses and sterile equipment and ability to put my blood to good use.

So I took up the offer. And my blood was certainly keen to be free. During the haemoglobin finger pick test (to check my iron levels - which were very healthy - which was good to know as I'm no longer eating meat) my blood jumped out of my finger and flew across the desk. It's never done that before. Then, during the actual donation, just as the last of my blood was being extracted, the needle fell out of my arm and my blood started escaping down my arm and onto the chair. Go blood! It didn't get far though, the nurses were onto it in a flash, with their gauze and cotton.

Still, it was a good attempt, by my blood, to free itself from this constraining flesh existence I've been forcing it to live in all these years. However, since I need my blood to keep me functioning, I can't allow too much of it to escape. I'll have to keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't surreptitiously start leaking from my person, now that it's had a taste of freedom.


Haemoglobin:



Pretty!

2 comments:

bro said...

thw Haemoglobin looks like party decorations .. pretty indeed!! i'm glad that not too much escaped though cause i'd hate for you to faint or something icky like that

Nicole_Effulgent13 said...

The bloodbank is pretty good about not taking so much blood that the donors faint. There is an alarm on the collector equipment which beeps loudly when the exact amount of blood has been taken.