Sunday 21 June 2009

Nicole as Hibernating Bear

Today was the northern solstice (at 3:46pm EST). Or winter solstice for those in the southern hemisphere (ie. me). The sun is at its most northern point - directly over the Tropic of Cancer (during the southern solstice the sun is at its most southern point - directly over the Tropic of Capricorn). Last night was the longest night and today was the shortest day. I always mark the winter solstice. I notice the shortening days counting down to the solstice, and then the lengthening days on the other side. As the days get shorter I feel enclosed - the curtains are closed too early, the lamp turned on too soon and sleepy dark arrives well before I'm ready. And I am sleepier than usual; I go to bed earlier and have trouble getting up in the morning (more than usual), and I crave fatty, sugary foods (more than usual). Reasons - colder weather, too much melatonin due to lack of sunlight. I go into a kind of hibernation. Like a bear.

Snoozy:







2 comments:

bro said...

note to self .. don't read "snoozy" posts when at work .. cause now i want to make like a hibernating bear .. feeling snoozy myself .. nice

Nicole_Effulgent13 said...

I can understand. I became a little snoozy myself, while looking for photos of hibernating bears.