Friday 6 March 2009

Braindead

Effulgent13 is experiencing some brain-numbness at this time and can't think of anything to blog about. Well...there are some things on my mind but my "it's going on the internet where, potentially, anyone on the planet, with internet access, could read it" veto keeps kicking in. And I think it's pretty evident that "Effulgent13" will soon become a worldwide phenomena - much like yo-yos and trainspotting.

And, speaking of excellent and challenging films - Trainspotting and Braindead - I was surprised, but happy, to see that this vampire film from Sweden, "Let the right one in" (or "Lat den ratte komma in" as it's known in Sweden), has been given a cinema release in Australia. I saw it at last year's film festival, where I enjoyed it's graphic depiction of blood and unsettling 12-year old leads. It also uses the northern European climate - the mid-winter excess of snow and darkness - to enhance the supernatural quality of the story. Apparently, it's going to be remade by Americans...blah! See the Swedish film; with subtitles, Swedish snow and young actors who understand genuine creepiness.

This blog entry ended up being significantly longer that I thought it would be. Apparently, if I just keep typing, I can fill in the empty spaces. If only that would work for all my empty spaces. Arrrggghhh...I don't want to end on such a maudlin note...so...um...:)...and...%# (this is a happy face as Picasso would type it).

But wait, now I've thought of something else. In my self-appointed role of bringing artistic culture to the masses, here is a picture of a not-so-famous painting titled "Vampire" by the eerily evocative Edvard Munch:




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Effulgent, you really know lots of long and obscure words. This is a great way to impress less wordy people. I am sure you would be able to improve on the last sentence! Maybe sentences like it are just the result of a type of laziness on my part... Do you have an email address? I know you can't put it on here but you could email me at my name with an underscore between first and second name at hotmail.com. I have all these nosy questions about life the universe and everything that just won't fit here. "Girl who used to be a girl who went to St Clare's and is not actually a girl now perhaps rather closer to an old crone"

Nicole_Effulgent13 said...

Dearest Anonymous,

While it may be true that I sometimes try to make fun with the big words, you are able to make fun with an entire language other than English - "kindergarten" and "steinkrug" being well-known examples from your language.
Of course, this assumes you're the person I think you are.
If you're someone else, you can send me an email via the gmail address on my profile page (it forwards the email to my regular email address). Otherwise, I'll be sending you an email.

Effulgent13.

PS. I like to think of myself as a "young-at-heart" old crone.

Karim said...

I love your picasso smiley !
I'm not very much into vampires, but will soon have the opportunity to learn more about them, thanks to the cinémathèque :
https://www.cinematheque.fr/cycle/vampires-527.html
Would recommend some of these movies ?