Tuesday 24 January 2012

One Ring to Rule Them All...

Wedding rings are a little creepy. Weddings are a little creepy. Marriage is a little creepy. Yes, I am quite the romantic. And my 20-years-ago self agrees (agreed?) with me, as evidenced by the (possibly paranoid) poem about wedding rings/weddings/marriage I wrote 20 years ago:

An unholy promise,
with your kiss on my skin,
through to my bone,
seeps bitter poison,
this crushing metal bond.
Forever is our acquaintance,
forever leaves me screaming and gasping for air...

Oh, happy day. Or at least it's meant to be happy, your wedding day, and perfect, and you're expected to vow to love another person for the rest of your life (or else!) - I wouldn't even vow to love myself for the rest of my life, even as lovable as I am. It's too much pressure. I need to take things one day at a time, reassess as I go. A promise is just an enticement to breakage.

No comments: