Friday 12 August 2011

Too Much Dream-Psychoanalysis?

[NEVER!!!]

So, last night I had series of involved and rollicking dreams - yee-hah! I was a little worn out upon awakening. I won't go into lurid detail of the dreams, for there may be children watching, and, quite frankly, the lurid detail of a person's dreams is mostly only interesting to that person. Nevertheless, there are 2 details from my dreams on which I feel I must comment:

1. the crumbling doorway of the house I lived in (with my family) from age 8 to 18 - this house often appears in my dreams (interestingly - to no one but me - the house I lived in before I was 8 never appears in my dreams).

2. the meandering presence of the person I like (sometimes with his girlfriend, and what appeared to be her entourage) - but there was a specific detail that struck me; he poured himself a drink of frothy pink bubblegum (it's okay to drink bubblegum in a dream), then poured some of it into a second glass and offered this to me. I refused the liquid bubblegum as I was already drinking a beer but he insisted (in a friendly way) that I take it, so I did, which seemed to make him happy.


The psychoanalytic interpretation of detail 1 is quite clear - obviously myself and my family need to stop letting evil into our lives, and we need to check that our front doors have sturdy locks (and, possibly, call in a termite inspector).

Detail 2 is a little more free-form. Clearly, the frothy pink bubblegum drink holds great meaning - but what is that meaning? Most likely it's sexual - Freud would see much phallic symbolism in the offering of a frothy pink bubblegum drink by a man I find attractive - but I see this explanation as being too easy (or, duh!). No, I'd like to believe there's something quite esoteric hidden in the pink bubblegum: Do I need more decorative polymer in my life? And, by extension, do I need to find a man who will understand and accept my need for decorative polymer? Ponderous...

No comments: