Sunday 4 January 2009

Catholic Land

The first blog entry for 2009, groovy. And I hope 2009 will be a groovy year. I’ve sensibly chosen a very safe, unfiery topic to herald in the New Year – Religion.

Looking back on some blog entries from last month I began to wonder if this blog might be open to accusations of religious intolerance, and specifically, Catholic intolerance. I wouldn’t want that to happen, not because I’m worried about being shutdown, but because I don’t think I’m intolerant of Religion. I am critical of Religion, and anything else in life, when I think it’s warranted. And clearly, I have some issues with Catholicism (into which I was baptised as a baby) – the doctrine of papal infallibility bothers me, and the level of power this confers – the encyclical “Humanae Vitae”, which outlaws contraception for Catholics, bothers me – the Pope’s recent comments comparing homosexuality to climate change bother me – I think the Vatican has its own intolerances.

So now I play with fire; but fire played with me first. It would be unrealistic for me to continue writing a blog without some reference to Religion. It’s a part of me, although I don’t have religious faith – Is that allowed? Probably not. Religion seems to have a lot of dos and don’ts. To be a member of a Religion you have to follow the rules. No bending. However, there are practising Catholics who ignore some of the doctrines of Catholicism. And there are clergy who are OK with this. I think this is a good thing. People with religious faith should be allowed into church, allowed to celebrate and share their beliefs with others, it should be a positive experience. I don’t think there should be restrictions.

Another thing that concerns me is exposing some of the more challenging tenants of Catholic theology to young children. I think it can be psychologically dangerous. For example, the concept of Hell and how easy it is to get there, is pretty frightening, even to adults.

I gave up being a Catholic (or any kind of Christian) when I was sixteen. I gave it up, blubbering, in front of a priest – a very kind and patient priest. He prayed for me, he asked God to give me guidance through my troubles. And I was guided through my troubles, away from Religion. So I wonder, is my lack of religious faith proof of God’s existence…freaky…ironic…but that’s God for you, with His wacky sense of humour…if He exists…

For me, there are too many aspects of Christianity in which I don’t have faith. Probably the biggest being my lack of belief that Jesus Christ is the son of God. But I agree with many of Christ’s teachings – don’t be selfish or greedy, help those in need, try to understand others by wearing their shoes and then walking in them. And, from my limited research, other Religions have similar teachings.

I’m not comfortable commenting too much on the theology of Religions I’ve never practised and haven’t really studied properly, so I’ve confined my diatribe to Catholicism.

Many, many, many people living on this rapidly spinning planet find solace in Religion and have a strong faith in God. I respect their beliefs, but don’t share their beliefs. Can we still be friends? I hope we can.

A religious person might ask me: “If you don’t have religious faith, what sustains you?” At the moment: The sun. The moon. Soil. Things that come from soil. Lots and lots of tea. Family. Friends. My continuing heartbeat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very interesting opening blog for 2009 methinks. was fascinated that your final experience of the catholic religion was a positive one - a patient and kind priest being supportive while you "blubbered".

clearly was a tough decision for you and it seems you bare no malice towards the church. you just thought it wasn't right for you.

i like your opening blog entry a lot.